[Development] Qt 5 types under consideration for deprecation / removal in Qt 6

Mutz, Marc marc at kdab.com
Wed Jun 5 13:41:25 CEST 2019

On 2019-06-05 10:40, Edward Welbourne wrote:
[...]
> If some things are deprecated and never removed (QRegEx springs to
> mind), while others get removed (comparably) soon after deprecation
> (e.g. everything we're currently deprecating with intent to remove in
> Qt
> 6), maintainers of client code get mixed signals.  The slow removals
> may
> give them an impression that they can take their time, that'll lead to
> violation of the principle of least surprise when they trip over one of
> the fast removals having suddenly gone away.

There are no mixed signals. I see no contradiction in deprecating
QRegExp and keeping it around for a loooong time. See the other thread.
Deprecation means the API is bad, for a certain definition of bad. Keep
using it at your own peril, think twice before you do, but do keep using
it if that's what you must do (like Qt itself uses QRegExp).

Thanks,
Marc