[Development] Deprecation/removal model going into Qt 6

Konstantin Shegunov kshegunov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 07:18:58 CEST 2019

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 9:44 PM André Pönitz <apoenitz at t-online.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 04, 2019 at 06:45:26PM +0200, Mutz, Marc via Development wrote:
> > 2. Delete all uses of the deprecated API from Qt itself
>
> ... and that *before* the deprecation happens.
>
> Lately the deprecations left Qt in a state that was still using deprecated
> API all over the place, with the people driving the deprecation generally
> leaving "fixing" Qt itself and other Qt Project to others.
>
> To put it bluntly: I consider this anti-social behaviour that is absolutely
> *not* in line with the spirit of the Qt Project.

I'd have to agree on that. In general that is, because there are some cases
where it's not possible; e.g. when the deprecated class/function is
exported for the user and due to our compatibility promises we can't remove
it immediately. Before we require the user to clean up their house it'd be
really in line for us to do the same. Not to mention that leaving usage of
deprecated APis inside the library unnecessarily creates technical debt,
which is going to bite sooner or later; if we are lucky, sooner rather than
later.