[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Simon Hausmann Simon.Hausmann at qt.io
Thu Jun 6 15:23:21 CEST 2019

Hi,

Regarding PCH, it seems that right now it would be easiest to include something like https://github.com/sakra/cotire . Patches are welcome to integrate this or alternatively work with upstream CMake for a built-in solution.

Regarding iOS/tvOS/watchOS, my understanding is that CMake upstream has landed basic support from a toolchain perspective and welcomes contributions to make it better. I understand that Alexandru has been playing with making a Qt build with it and supplying third-party libraries via vcpkg, but I think that's nothing beyond the scope of experiments. So similarly here, contributions are welcome :)

Those two aspects are also a driver for increasing the visiblity of the CMake port, in order to invite contributors to help. Yet I feel that they don't represent show-stoppers from a decision making point of view. I'm confident that if others in the C++ community are able to build apps for iOS with CMake, then we will also be able to build Qt for it.

Simon