[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 15:52:00 CEST 2019

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 01:35, Bogdan Vatra via Development
<development at qt-project.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I won't hold my breath for community support for iOS. iOS is out for so many
> years, yet CMake has no support for t.
>
> iOs is not a show stopper if and only you're prepared to drop this plaform
> from Qt 6 in case cmake support will be poor or non existing.

IOs, Android (and other upcoming OS [1]) multi-arch  builds are IMHO a
hard-requirement.
Since when the build system "candidate" dictates Qt supported platform?
I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

And now people are calling for "community" help b/c they realise that
it will take a massive effort to support these requirements.

Let's face it and be honest about that, this "build system decision" is a drill.
CMake has been chosen, period. Yet it doesn't seem to tick all the
harsh requirements set by Thiago ages ago.
Apparently there is an attempt to  "achieve a decision within the Qt
project by lazy consensus.".
Whatever that means.

Chris

[1] with that Huwei  story going on, i would expect a new
"android-like" OS coming very soon. Can Qt (company/project) afford to
miss that Chinese train?