[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Kai Köhne Kai.Koehne at qt.io
Thu Jun 6 16:00:41 CEST 2019

CMake has quite extensive documentation: https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/

> qmake's documentation has always been an afterthought. The documentation
> equivalent for CMake should be better than that – at the very least, it
> shouldn’t result in another https://wiki.qt.io/Undocumented_QMake and
> such.

I think this is the case 😊 We're also gradually improving the documentation of CMake macros that Qt provides, see https://codereview.qt-project.org/q/topic:%22cmake_transition%22 (reviews welcome btw).

Now there will still be CMake macros & functions that are only used when building Qt itself (-> are internal). I don't think it makes sense yet to document them, because they're still in flux. But once things stabilize it would be IMO a good move to at least provide overview documentation.

Regards

Kai