[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Simon Hausmann Simon.Hausmann at qt.io
Thu Jun 6 16:02:44 CEST 2019

Hi,

I think our users should eventually end up in area that is currently called the "CMake Manual" in the docs. For example through one of the various overviews. As far as I can tell that page is currently located at

    https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/cmake-manual.html

That page targets application developers and correctly also refers to CMake's own manual at

    https://cmake.org/documentation/

It might make sense to make that a more concrete link to the exactly version of CMake that Qt requires at the least. What do you think?

This page might also benefit from a section or sub-page that provides help for qmake users on how to transition to CMake.

Finally, the existing documentation about how to build Qt from source -- https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/build-sources.html -- will require changes. It is our intention (or at least mine ;-) to transition the internal docs that address that, currently located at cmake/README.md, to those pages. We have not yet achieved the desired degree of convenience for building Qt with CMake though, and we have not reached the target branch yet. But once in wip/qt6 I think it might make sense to move things across.

Simon