[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 16:48:51 CEST 2019

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 02:25, Simon Hausmann <Simon.Hausmann at qt.io> wrote:

> Am 06.06.19 um 16:17 schrieb Christian Gagneraud:

> >> FWIW, I didn't say that without support from the community nothing will
> >> happen, which is what you're suggesting. Eventually somebody from the Qt
> >> Company is likely going to dig into the particular topic of iOS, for
> >> example. If you would like to see something implemented before that
> >> point in time, then please join the development effort. We also hang out
> >> in #qt-cmake on Freenode, btw.
> > That's exactly my point, "you" took the decision before analysing the
> > problems, and now you're asking me to join #qt-cmake to make it
> > happen!?! Why would i do that? Can't you provide something that works?
> > If not, please bail out.
>
> As you can see from the responses, an analysis on CMake and iOS has been
> done, with encouraging results. These results, on conjunction with the

No, an analisys wasn't done *prior*, an analysis of the problems is
*currently* being done.
That's my feeling right now.
None of these was mentioned in your original email.

> results in the other platforms/configurations, gave us - some TqTC and
> KDAB devs - enough confidence that we think that we can pull it off. I

So you're basically saying  that you have no real metrics, just gut
feeling that it is possibly doable.
Please bring facts, not gut feelings.

> did not ask you to join to make it happen, please don't put words into
> my mouth. I said that if you'd like to see something implemented before
> we get to it, then you're invited to join the effort.

Stop saying that i put words in your mouth, i'm just reading and
interpreting what you're saying.
And right now, i've been heavily invited to something that i don't
want to join. Period.

Please stop making promises based on potential future "community
contribution" that you cannot guarantee.
We need facts, not promises and futures.

Can you multi-arch-build a Qt example/tutorial for Ios/Android right now?

Chris.