[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jun 11 10:42:03 CEST 2019

Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> I do think qtchooser could be a generalized portable utility, not just for
> Qt.  But switching versions by updating symlinks (as in the
> /etc/alternatives system) is relatively clumsy compared to the way
> qtchooser lets you switch to different versions in each shell instance if
> you like.

/etc/alternatives is not the proper solution either. It has mostly the same
design flaws as qtchooser, with the additional issue that the choice is a
global systemwide choice rather than a runtime one, which breaks multi-user
setups and concurrency (can't build apps against different Qt versions
concurrently).

The correct solution is to use unique (i.e., in practice, suffixed) binary
names.

        Kevin Kofler