[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jun 14 21:05:57 CEST 2019

On Friday, 14 June 2019 11:35:20 PDT Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> > That means you
> > should NOT do that strong dependency. app5 should require qdbus >= Qt5,
> > which means Qt 6's should suffice.
>
> Except you can't ship both version in the same binary-package, so
> there is no way to express that relationship *with versioning*. The
> package will need to depend upon qdbus (qt4) or qdbus-qt5. A virtual
> package might be considered, but only for applications that will not
> change their backwards behavior *ever*.

THAT's a good point.

I was thinking that you'd split the package so that Qt 3, 4 and 5's qdbus is
never installed, but instead you always get the one from Qt 6. That means Qt 6
is always installed in a system that needs qdbus, regardless of whether any
applications use it.

This is not always a good solution.

But we should consider splitting qdbus and qdbusviewer out of qtbase and
giving them their separate, independent releases.