[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Bogdan Vatra bogdan.vatra at kdab.com
Sat Jun 15 21:22:34 CEST 2019

În ziua de sâmbătă, 15 iunie 2019, la 19:32:52 EEST, Thiago Macieira a scris:
> On Friday, 14 June 2019 23:45:47 PDT Bogdan Vatra via Development wrote:
[...]
> > So, as long as we need to provide libs, (qml) plugins  for debug & release
> > I think building them in one go is a must have feature.
>
> Why must they be built in one go? Why can't they be separate builds stitched
> together? Or even completely separate builds as on Linux and all the other
> Unix?

  Because qmake can build them in one go and last but not least is very
convenient. Because a "new" buildsystem should do more than the existing one,
not less :).

[...]
> >   Just to be clear, I don't want to change TQC mind again, but I don't
> >   like
> >
> > people hiding or twisting the true. The true is that in this moment CMake
> > is not the best option but, arguably, the worst one. It has the least
> > features and it has the ugliest syntax than the alternatives qmake and
> > QBS.
> But it has the most support base and the most experience out there, which
> was ostensibly the reason I posted. If users and packagers have problems,
> the pool of people who can help is much bigger.

  IMHO "the most support base and the most experience out there" it's just an
appearance, or at least all these "support" and "experience" doesn't apply to
Qt, I'll reiterate a few examples :
 - no PCH (in decades)
 - no iOS (it seems we need to wait for 3.15 to have *some* support, let's not
forget that iOS it's over a decade old)
 - no multi ABIs builds in one go (needed for msvc and useful also for
Android).
  My *hunch* is that 3.15 won't be enough to build all Qt platforms and we'll
probably needs to wait a little bit more. IMHO cmake superiority it's just a
myth, because, obviously, in *this moment* qmake is a superior buildsystem
*for Qt*.
  Again, I want to highlight the fact that I don't want to change TQC decision
regarding Qt6 and CMake, my comments are only for the sake of the truth.

BogDan.