[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Scott Bloom scott at towel42.com
Sun Jun 16 01:01:33 CEST 2019

On Saturday, 15 June 2019 12:22:34 PDT Bogdan Vatra via Development wrote:
> > Why must they be built in one go? Why can't they be separate builds
> > stitched together? Or even completely separate builds as on Linux
> > and all the other Unix?
>
>   Because qmake can build them in one go and last but not least is
> very convenient. Because a "new" buildsystem should do more than the
> existing one, not less :).

That only means a "nice to have", not "must have", feature. Sure it's convenient, but how often do you really need both and can't simply build twice? My Windows build is slow enough as is[*], I'd probably welcome the separation.

Note: with qmake's NMake generator, you *can* type "make debug" and it'll only compile the debug sub-targets. That doesn't work with the Unix Makefile one, so it won't work for macOS.

[* because I build on my IT-provided dual-core laptop, which comes loaded with IT-provided virus scanners, data-loss prevention tools, etc.]

As a big CMake fan, I would love to see the whole QMake -> CMake conversion go forward.

To this point, and this point only, the following is what my company uses to build debug and release on windows

cmake --build . --config Debug --config RelWithDebInfo  --target ALL_BUILD

For linux, we don’t have a method...

Scott