[Development] Deprecate the Keccak hashes in QCryptographicHash?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jun 18 20:36:12 CEST 2019

On Tuesday, 18 June 2019 09:01:31 PDT Thiago Macieira wrote:
> They're the only ones we couldn't fall back to Linux's AF_ALG or OpenSSL's
> support, which often contain more optimised code that ours.

If we remove Keccak, then we could remove all the hash implementations from
QtCore, on Linux, and simply fall back to AF_ALG. See prototype at
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/215796

I haven't benchmarked whether the kernel/userspace transitions make a
perceptible difference. But for any non-trivial content, we should expect a
performance gain if there's an implementation in
https://code.woboq.org/linux/linux/arch/x86/crypto/ (basically, SHA1, SHA256
and SHA512).

Better than that, only if we used OpenSSL, but there's also a set-up cost
because EVP_MD will try to allocate memory.