[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Fri Jun 21 11:08:20 CEST 2019

On 21/05/2019 12:24, Kai Köhne wrote:
> [...]

Jarek, could you please review this thread[1] and share your thoughts?

One aspect to keep in mind is that although sharing code with QtCreator
and/or using Qt WebView may sound like a better end solution than
writing a WebEngine plugin to Assistant, it probably won't address the
primary reason for writing the plugin, which is build order. Assistant
is currently built before Qt WebEngine, which is why the existing
patch[2] does not work in a clean checkout. If we were to switch to Qt
WebView, I assume compilation of Assistant would have to be postponed
just the same. The best solution would therefore be, in my opinion, to
change the order of compilation, apply the existing patch, and consider
refactorings and unifications thereafter.

Bastiaan.

[1] https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2019-May/035920.html
[2] https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qttools/+/111559