[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Fri Jun 21 15:37:02 CEST 2019

On 21/06/2019 14:57, Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
> I’m not Jarek, but I recall that Eddy made a suggestion [1] which I
> think has been prematurely dismissed or at least not been discussed
> sufficiently, which is:
>
> * move the Qt Assistant functionality for searching and qch support
> into a locally executed HTTP server
> * use any proper webbrowser to display the help that this web service
> serves
>

> What would be arguments against such a solution?
>

> Volker
>
> [1]
> https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2019-May/036028.html

In our application, we already provide our manual in three different
formats, generated from the same source (by doxygen): qhc/Assistant, PDF
and HTML served from our company website. The great advantage of qhc and
Assistant is that the content in Assistant can be easily and efficiently
synchronised by the click of some specific "Help" button in the UI to
bring up content specific to the context of that button, without
creating new tabs in your web browser. The most important feature of
Assistant, though, is its index and search functionality. Will
qthttpserver be able to do that, scrolling to the right position and
highlighting the indexed word?

Bastiaan.