[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Palaraja, Kavindra KPalaraja at luxoft.com
Mon Jun 24 08:20:31 CEST 2019

Hi Andre,

I'm really curious -- why is it bad to make WebEngine mandatory for anything that passes as "Qt Creator's Help Integration"?

I'm asking because, these days, many Software companies spend a lot of time, energy, and money in making their documentation look and feel good. This includes not just the large chunks of content that's published, but also the in-line text, UI strings, tooltips, etc. They believe that it adds to the developer experience.

The Qt Project has a unique opportunity here, in that we have our own IDE, which is a luxury. And there's also a way to use an existing module, WebEngine, to improve this look and feel (among other reasons). So why shouldn't we use it?

Have you seen Qt Creator's Help Integration recently?
* It doesn't render 1:1 with the default style that is used on https://doc.qt.io
* It can't display the borders for tables -  so every single table looks weird as all borders are stripped out. Qt's documentation is full of tables.
* It doesn't scale images accordingly, so you have manually guess what Creator can display and try really hard to shrink your diagrams without losing clarity

Is this really what we want to showcase to our customers?

Kavindra.

On 23.06.19, 19:09, "Development on behalf of André Pönitz" <development-bounces at qt-project.org on behalf of apoenitz at t-online.de> wrote:

    On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 01:05:32PM +0000, Simon Hausmann wrote:
    > Would we provide a menu in the start menu for "Qt documentation" that
    > would launch the web server and then the user preferred web browser with
    > that url? How is the server terminated?
    >

    > Either way, this requires developing either a new frontend application
    > first or a back-end that can do the index searches, etc.
    >

    > To me it seems easier to solve this first by making the Qt Assistant use
    > WebEngine and when we later have a better doc "frontend" (as web app)
    > switch to that and potentially an external browser.

    As that this does not make WebEngine mandatory for anyhthing that passes
    as "Qt Creator's Help integration"...

    Andre'