[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Tue Jun 25 09:52:29 CEST 2019

25.06.2019, 10:48, "André Pönitz" <apoenitz at t-online.de>:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 04:37:16PM +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>>  > I have two more numbers to add: Compressed (7z) the download size would
>>  > be around ~44 MB. I measured on Windows with a Qt Creator built with
>>  > WebEngine support and surfed a little through the docs. The memory
>>  > consumption of the web engine process weighed in between 14-20 MB of RAM.
>>  >
>>  > So it looks like this AFAICS:
>>  >
>>  >      * We would be adding 145 MB of additional disk usage
>>  >
>>  >      * We would add ~44 MB to the download size of Qt Creator
>>  >
>>  >      * We would eat ~14-20 MB of additional RAM (not quite fair though,
>>  > as we'd have to subtract the QTextDocument memory usage for a diff).
>>
>>  For comparison, numbers for QtWebKit are: 84 MB of disk space (of which
>>  26 MB is taken by ICU data), and 20 MB when compressed to 7z archive.
>>  I didn't measure RAM consumption, but I'm sure it won't take more than
>>  you've measured.
>>
>>  This is full build with all features enabled; it's possible to make reduced
>>  build without multimedia support, JavaScript JIT and other features not needed
>>  for help browser.
>
> I actually tried that a while ago (i.e. clone Qt Webkit and throw out
> everything that's not needed to display Qt's help) when the shift to
> WebEngine was looming.
>
> It worked up to a certain degree nicely in the build system by
> de-selecting options, than quite a bit more by actually removing code.
> Getting rid of all of JS was not obviously possible.

Removing code makes result unmaintainable, while minimal configuration with
existing options makes a good balance IMO.

> The result was ok-ish size-wise (and for me definitely preferable over
> WebEngine) but the question is where to put to cut. In some setups
> ("Want to see DevDays videos") even cutting multimedia plugins won't be
> accepted by everyone. I.e. the "need" for a "full browser" is likely
> to always exist, and that's currently served by "use external help".

We have MediaFoundation player on Windows these days so it can work
without pulling in Qt Multimedia and uses system-provided codecs, so
enabling multimedia won't add that much. However, for multimedia content
there is always an option to add external link, as this is not the kind of
documentation you really need to have inside your IDE or in similar context.

--
Regards,
Konstantin