[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Simon Hausmann Simon.Hausmann at qt.io
Tue Jun 25 10:26:09 CEST 2019

Am 25.06.19 um 10:10 schrieb Morten Sørvig:
> I’m not sure if it has been mentioned; we have another option which is to use the OS web browser component via the Qt WebView module.
>
> The benefits would be
>
> * up-to-date web browser (and someone else keeps it up to date for us)
> * insignificant additional download size
> * no trouble with restricted platforms where shipping a full web browser is not feasible (but then maybe creator isn’t going to run on those platforms, anyway)
>
> QWebView’s platform coverage may be insufficient for Creator, which means
>
> * no html docs on those platforms :(
> * or, we expand QWebView platform coverage
> * or, QT WebView does have a WebEngine backend

I think that would indeed be desirable in the long run. At the moment
this is limited to macOS (and from the looks of it, Qt Creator has
direct support for using WebKit on macOS, but oddly my build doesn't
have it enabled?). I'm quite excited about Microsoft's WebView2
development that could become a very nice backend for QWebView on
Windows. I played with it the other day and it looks quite nice. The
deployment model is not suitable for us at the moment (nuget only) and
it's still in an early release phase. However it comes with a powerful
API and an opt-in evergreen distribution model.

QWebView would also need to be improved to support feeding custom data
into it, unless somebody implements serving via a local http server.

I think these are all options in the future.

Simon