[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Wed Jun 26 02:07:20 CEST 2019

On 25/06/2019 18:16, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 June 2019 09:05:21 PDT Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>>> It hasn't been updated in years. Don't use it, since it's clearly not
>>> getting security updates.
>> New version is currently in development, and should be ready in time frame
>> of Qt 5.14 (at least functionality required for displaying help)
>>
>> 5.212 branch should be fine for use with local help files, e.g. you can take
>> fresh\ from http://download.qt.io/snapshots/ci/qtwebkit/5.212/1560153112/
> Konstantin,
>
> at this point, what's speaking againt qtwebkit is its track record of release.
> Until it starts making regular releases again, I can't recommend it. And Qt
> Creator (or any other application) shouldn't begin using it again until those
> regular releases resume.

Are you worried about the lack of security patches? I can see how that
matters for an ordinary browser implemented with Qt, but for Assistant
and Creator that exclusively display locally installed generated
compressed help files, security concerns are a lot lower.

Bastiaan.