[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Nikolai Kosjar Nikolai.Kosjar at qt.io
Wed Jun 26 12:32:43 CEST 2019

On 6/26/19 10:09 AM, Eike Ziller wrote:
>> On 25. Jun 2019, at 23:53, Konrad Rosenbaum <konrad at silmor.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,

>>> You should be able to communicate your points without that kind of lingo. Try better.

>>> Please stop putting up straw-men, it’s not helping this discussion at all.
>>
>> Okay, let's formulate this in a way that hopefully doesn't offend you
>> and doesn't seem like a straw-man to you.
>>

>> Qt6 has a couple of options for documentation, none of them are ideal:
>>

>> Option 1: leave everything as is with a QTextBrowser based assistant and
>> some tweaks in the qch files.
>> Pros: no additional work required; all current features and use cases
>> stay supported; good enough for a lot of developers
>> Con: looks ugly enough to actually offend visually sensitive developers.

That's fine for my *personal* use cases with Qt Creator and using help
in there. While it would be desirable to have the same look and feel as
on https://doc.qt.io/, I never had a problem with that. If I'm using
help mode, I'm looking for a particular information and the styling
never got in my way. So that's 95% fine with me.

But we are having this discussion/thread here, so we can rule this out,
except for a fallback of course.

>> Option 2: put some elbow grease into QTextBrowser and make it understand
>> some more tags and more CSS.
>> Pros: documentation becomes visually more pleasing; minimal dependencies
>> by assistant - easy to build and easy to bundle with applications;
>> embedding in Creator or KDevelop etc. stays easy to do
>> Positive side effect: users will love it, since it becomes much easier
>> and flexible to use QTextBrowser in their own applications
>> Con: someone actually has to put in the work
>
> And we really miss a good, small HTML+CSS viewer for Qt. Currently we offer either crap (QTextBrowser, sorry for the harsh words), or something huge, that does too much, and is more difficult to deploy (QtWebEngine).
> QtWebKit was an bearable compromise at the time, it didn’t hurt so much as QtWebEngine.
>
> Option 2 1/2: Leave QTextBrowser alone but create a lightweight HTML+CSS viewer, possibly based on something like https://github.com/litehtml/ .
> Pros: documentation becomes visually more pleasing; dependencies really only contain what is needed for HTML+CSS; a solution benefits other developers using Qt
> Con: someone actually has to put in the work

+1 for this one, option 2, or a *heavily* reduced/stripped webengine,
depending on the amount of estimated work.

Estimating this is also work...