[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Kirill Burtsev kirill.burtsev at qt.io
Wed Jun 26 15:36:55 CEST 2019

Hi,

so it seems that it's really about look and feel in the end :)
So about that:
* as a developer i don't expect methods for QObject  in a web doc to be in a table.
Why return type should be separated from anything else? It's a proper c++ signature.
And to my taste methods list looks better in assistant/creator than on a current web
doc page https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qobject.html. It's enough to just aligh method names
and highlight it. Why should it be more then that? Does this example really justify
adding html/css webengine?
* Tables look good at least in Model/View Programming page. How is it not
possible to display them properly?
* \code, \endcode works fine in https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qwebengineurlschemehandler.html
Assistant and web have different highlighting, but i find assistant version better,
because it doesn't annoy with colors and only highlights important Qt classes and
dims c++ keywords. And i would definitely prefer my local creator/vim color scheme
than the one on web doc. But it's a personal preference.

And about 'what developers expect to get when they look at the documentation.'
I would say it's answer. And the question will rarely be 'does it look the same in
assistant and doc.qt.io?' or 'How cool tables are rendered?'. This move looks more
like it would increase entropy rather than help fighting it. Implementing fuzzy
context aware searches for help with as many sources as possible event outside
of Qt programs would definitely help. Restricting users to the single ide and its
environment is a strange desire.

Regards,
Kirill