[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Wed Jun 26 20:54:11 CEST 2019

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 08:58:07PM +0000, Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:

> >> You should be able to communicate your points without that kind of lingo. Try
> >> better.

> >> Please stop putting up straw-men, it’s not helping this discussion at all.
> >
> > I find it actually quite helpful and to the point.
>
> Huh? You find straw-men helpful and to the point?

Depends on circumstances, but generally, yes.

I assume the straw-men here is the insinuated intention to "win a design price",
that's of course not the real intention, that was rather about being able to
specify table background by CSS and table borders.

However, the straw-men here is only the motivation, the actual technical
effect on resource consumption and locking out users is the same.

If one considers "locking out user for winning a design price" an outrageously bad
deal, the straw-men arguments helps to understand that while "be able to use CSS
for styling for table layouts at the price of locking out users" is not _exactly_
the same, it is still a _really bad_ deal.

So I think the straw-men argument here indeed helps to get the order of magnitudes
of gain and pain right. Without such "help" and unavailability of other measures
humans tend to simply use the _number_ of presented arguments as a measure of
their weight, i.e. "CSS for table background" counts the same (namely "one
argument") as "locking out users".  And when "draws table borders" is added,
that's already a clear 2:1 win.

Andre'