[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jun 27 08:25:10 CEST 2019

On Wednesday, 26 June 2019 18:47:32 PDT Lars Knoll wrote:
> Yes, Webengine uses some memory. But is that really a problem on developer
> machines?

Yes. I have 16 GB of RAM and 16 GB of swap. Sometimes Linux fails to suspend
to disk unless I quit either Creator, Firefox or Chromium.  Free memory isn't
completely the issue. Even with 6 GB free (after re-adding buffers/cache) and
10 GB swap free, the suspend can fail.

Another issue is starting a VM. There are many things in our corporate network
that require a Windows, plus of course doing testing with MSVC. The moment you
have a 4GB+ VM running, Creator, Firefox, Chromium and KMail[*], it adds up.

So, yes, even on a developer's machine we shouldn't use too much.

[*] KMail already starts a QtWebEngineProcess, but the main process is right
now consuming 950 MB of heap.