[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Thu Jun 27 21:22:02 CEST 2019

27.06.2019, 22:15, "André Pönitz" <apoenitz at t-online.de>:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 06:57:08AM +0200, Richard Weickelt wrote:
>>  Is it well known, how many QtCreator users are even using the integrated
>>  help functionality? How many Qt users are using QtAssistant and how many
>>  prefer the online documentation?
>
> The exact numbers are not known (to me), but the patterns as such are in
> principle. It is known that effectively the full range of possibilities
> starting from reading the doc comments in Qt sources up to online docs
> only are used in practice.
>
> And it is known that no matter what option is selected as "the only
> true one" some people will be left out.
>
>>  I stopped using the integrated help and QtAssisant at some point and now I
>>  am exclusively using the online documentation in my regular browser. I can't
>>  give an exact reason, but I can see a correlation of multiple things:
>>
>>  1) Fast internet access became available everywhere I worked and there
>>     was no noticable delay anymore in page loading.
>>  2) I am reading so much in the browser anyway that I feel more
>>     comfortable also reading the Qt docs in it.
>>  3) I am using my browser anyway while working with Qt because
>>     I often search in the mailing list, forum, other docs, etc.
>>  4) Using a regular search engine leads to good-enough search results
>>     and is very fast
>>  5) There was the point where Qt's online docs started to look better.
>>     Cripser fonts, more whitespace, better code highlighting.
>>
>>  I guess no matter how hard you try and how much effort you put into it, I'll
>>  probably never use QtCreator's integrated help again.
>
> That's a valid usage pattern.
>
>>  I'd rather appreciate
>>  QtCreator to be slim and fast, both when using and building it. I think the
>>  time, energy should rather be spend in improving the documentation as a
>>  whole. I'd like to see more video tutorials about QtCreator best practices,
>>  for instance.
>
> I usuall run a mixture of online docs and reading the comments directly,
> except in the occasional off-line case where it is QTextBrowser and/or
> comments.
>
>>  And yes, I (and a lot of users) would appreciate if qdoc would output
>>  exactly the same nice html design as doc.qt.io.
>
> And as usual, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. E.g. I still dislike
> the current Qt Green, especially as text color. And unfortunately for me
> in that case the rate of change of design seems to have slowed down
> lately in that area;&}

Be my guest. With QtWebKit you can set user style sheet [1] to override
those properties that you don't like, e.g. change green color to something
else. And this does not even require enabling JS support for the page.

[1] https://qtwebkit.github.io/doc/qtwebkit/qwebsettings.html#setUserStyleSheetUrl

--
Regards,
Konstantin