[Development] HTML5/CSS vs Qt QML and QtCreator / Assistant

Jedrzej Nowacki Jedrzej.Nowacki at qt.io
Fri Jun 28 13:25:27 CEST 2019

On Friday, June 28, 2019 11:32:43 AM CEST Cristian Adam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some of you might have been familiar with white papers such as Qt QML v
> HTML5 – a practical
> comparison<http://dforeman.cs.binghamton.edu/~foreman/360new/examples/Using
> %20QT4/WHITEPAPER_HTML5vQML.pdf>.

> Qt Creator already ships with QML support, why not transform the HTML
> offline documentation into QML?
 Does it have to be HTML5/CSS?

> Having the documentation as QML will have no additional constrains for Qt
> Creator. No 76MiB Qt5WebEngineCore.dll file, no memory increase, no startup
> penalty.

> QML is supported on all platforms, right? Builds with MinGW on Windows, and
> so on.

> Cheers,
> Cristian.

10 points for thinking out of the box :-)

It would solve a lot of problems like; scaling, integration, fonts, _embedding
qml snippets_, binary size... It would leave us with security issues, we could
restrict the content somehow (documentation viewer would need to be
sandboxed). As I like the idea, some prototyping is needed :-)

Cheers,
  Jędrek