[Development] On deprecating functions

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Mon Mar 4 17:51:08 CET 2019

Hi,

I recently introduced some new signals (Q(Double)SpinBox::textChanged,
QComboBox::textActivated) as replacements for old ones to be able to
avoid the use of QOverload<>::of in Qt6 and to better match their
respective properties.
Within those changes I also marked the old signals as deprecated with
QT_DEPRECATED so the developer gets an information to no longer use this
function in new code.
This lead to a lot of warnings in old code which needs to be compiled
with 5.9 and 5.12 (e.g. in QtCreator) which can't be fixed because there
the new function is not yet available. It was requested to remove the
QT_DEPRECATED decoration until e.g. 5.15. but I think then it's too
later to be able to remove them with Qt6.
See https://codereview.qt-project.org/252208 for the discussion and a
possible solution here: https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/254909/

So what's the correct way to deprecate a function and not forgetting
about QT_DEPRECATED later on as it happened with a lot of functions
during Qt4 times?

Thx,
Christian