[Development] On deprecating functions

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Mar 5 00:12:33 CET 2019

On Monday, 4 March 2019 13:48:25 PST André Pönitz wrote:
> The proposed model would effectively introduce another user-visible
> level including associated period of time between "alternative
> solution gets introducd" and "getting nagged about not using it"
> that is "hopefully" long enough, to cover "most interesting"
> (to be blunt: read: "including my") use case.

I don't think we should deprecate things, much less warn about, until there's
a suitable example, except in few cases where the API was mis-designed and has
no solution. That doesn't mean the solution needs to be a simple search-and-
replace, but it needs to exist.

Does that change what you're proposing?