[Development] forcing libxkbcommon to be present in the system makes newer Qt unusable on older linux distros

Gatis Paeglis Gatis.Paeglis at qt.io
Tue Mar 5 15:52:27 CET 2019

> library doesn't provide another way to build itself.

libxkbcommon changelog for 0.7.2 https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-August/034721.html

"Added a Meson build system as an alternative to existing autotools build system. The intent is to remove the autotools build in one of the next releases. Please try to convert to it and report any problems."

libxkbcommon changelog for 0.8.3 https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2019-February/039970.html:

"Build note: We've had a report that the autotools build doesn't work with

the new version of Bison, 3.3. If this happens to you, please switch to
using meson. The autotools build will be removed in libxkbcommon 0.9.0."

Note that 0.9.0 does not exist, so even the current master branch still can be built with auto tools.

> Unless I misunderstand something this change hits older linuxes real hard.

Current minimal required version by Qt is 0.5.0 and only really old distros do not have it. And to quote the commit message that removed the library from bundled sources:

"This library is present on all supported platforms."