[Development] Changes planned for the online installer

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 14:47:07 CET 2019

Thanks for the initiative, Tuuka and team. Much appreciated.

As part of the meeting, please review the points raised in previous
discussions [1][2]. Three major pain points were:

    (A) Downloading metadata is very time-consuming.
    (B) The automatic mirror selection algorithm doesn't always pick
the best mirror.
    (C) (New users) It's not clear how to choose what to install.

The changes you described, as well as Fabrice's suggestions, seem to
address (A) quite nicely.

I made a tool to help with (B), but it was meant to be a quick and
dirty hack [3]. I didn't expect it to still be in use 5 years later.
Please provide the ability to override the default mirror within the
installer itself.

I believe the documentation team discussed on-boarding techniques as
part of their workshop last week [4]. Please work with them to address
(C) in a holistic manner.

Regards,
Sze-Howe

[1] https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2018-April/032461.html
("To improve UX of the online installer") and subsequent replies
[2] https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTIFW-1132
[3] https://forum.qt.io/topic/43349/slow-downloads-with-the-online-installer-try-this-tool
[4] https://blog.qt.io/blog/2019/03/01/the-future-of-documentation/