[Development] CMake branch

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Thu Mar 21 13:51:02 CET 2019

On 21 Mar 2019, at 13:00, Mikhail Svetkin <Mikhail.Svetkin at qt.io<mailto:Mikhail.Svetkin at qt.io>> wrote:

Hi everyone!

We’ve had an internal discussion about wip/cmake branch.

We thought maybe it is a good idea to merge wip/cmake into dev branch.

The advantages are:
 - It allows our contributors to play with CMake in dev branch
 - Speed-up the build of QtBase
 - Easy to find a lot of bugs in CMake port
 - CI could have a nightly build with CMake and generate a report
 - We can synchronize CMakeFiles and *.pro files

The disadvantages are:
 - Any changes should be passed by CI

Do you have any objections?

I’m fully supporting this proposal.

By doing the cmake work in a separate branch, we are keeping this hidden from everyone else. That was the right thing to do while we didn’t know if we want to go with it and what the structural implications of this change will be, but now we know, and it’s time to move this work into the mainline.

Having this in a branch prevents people that can help out from doing so effectively, and generally introduces a lot of waste.

Of course, more changes hitting dev means more CI runs, and there’ll likely be some unsupported cmake files in the next releases made off of dev, but that doesn't do any harm.

Volker