[Development] CMake branch

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Thu Mar 21 17:39:31 CET 2019

Am Donnerstag, den 21.03.2019, 15:26 +0000 schrieb Mikhail Svetkin:
> > I do not understand this part.
>
>  We can ask people to update CMakeFiles after updating pro files.

Creator has two build systems and that is a constant PITA.

If we decide to do this, then we need to have one CMake build as part of the
blocking CI. Otherwise we will not notice cmake breakage before it hits the
tree.

> > First it requires that we can not do *anything* that will break qmake while
> porting to CMake.
>
> Why do we need to break qmake?

We do not want to port all the qmake-quirks over to cmake. We get enough quirks
for free straight from cmake:-)

> > So no moving of files, no removal of files, no renaming, no
> fixes to the source code, nothing. Considering that we generate most CMake
> files
> straight from the .pro-files, that is probably not too much of a problem, but
> it
> does take options of the table.
>
> If you want to move files you can update pro files and qmake build. The same
> for another operations.

The point is that you need to keep cmake and qmake in sync, whether or not that
makes sense. E.g. the bootstrapping is not necessary in the same way with cmake
-- so restructuring src/tools would make sense. That is not applicable to qmake,
where the bootstrapping of qmake etc. is of course needed.

We are not as free to change things for cmake in qt5/dev as we are with cmake in
wip/qt6 -- where we can just remove all the .pro-files once cmake is there. We
will not be able to do so in qt5/dev.

I am not ruling out either option, but I do want to have this noted before we
jump.

> > We need volunteers for this! I do not see the team currently trying to port
> Qtbase to CMake having the necessary resources.
>
> I think people do not want to just play with CMake. They want to build Qt (in
> our case QtBase) with CMake and if they encounter issues some people more
> likely to fix the issues.

I expect more people will want to work on Qt than CMake, but I have no numbers
to back this up:-)

I *do* expect lots of developer will need to chip in to get the bulk of Qt
ported to CMake.

> Let's send a patch and see what happens.

Sure.

Any help getting wip/cmake updated to qt5/dev is appreciated!

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho. Sitz der