[Development] Does iMX6 support EGL on X11 feature?

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Sat Mar 23 19:04:01 CET 2019

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 19:06:24 +0300, Denis Shienkov wrote:

> I'm trying to build a Yocto image, but the config tests fails on
> 'executing config test egl-x11' test with:

We have an iMX6 board running with X11, so in general it should be
possible. But this is using an early version of Qt5 - before
QT_XCB_NATIVE_PAINTING had been added ( 5.10 ).

It is some years ago and I was not part of our BSP team, but IIRC the
Vivante support didn't work out of the box and we needed some patches to
get things running.

Our use case is running a Qt/Quick application - the motivation for
using X11 here is that we needed VNC support, something that was not
available for EGLFS at that time.

Nowadays I would consider the X11 paint engine being an argument for
running X11 - even with Qt/Quick - once you have expensive QPainter
based code and you can't live with certain problems of the OpenGL paint
engine.

Uwe