[Development] unique_ptr and Qt, Take 2

Иван Комиссаров abbapoh at gmail.com
Sat May 4 01:14:09 CEST 2019

Ahhh, it so hard to explain things.

Of course I am not suggesting to forbid creation of a QObject on a stack - it doesn’t make any sense to do that.

What I am talking about is that explicit is better than implicit. Taking an address of an object on a stack and passing it to a function that (possibly can) delete your object is not explicit. Wrapping that operation in a construction of a smart pointer is explicit. Moving a unique_ptr is explicit. When you’re «casting» your on-a-stack-QFile to a some smart pointer, you’re telling the compiler (and other people who read the code) «trust me, I know what I’m doing, this is intended».