[Development] unique_ptr and Qt, Take 2

Daniel Teske qt at squorn.de
Wed May 8 08:59:43 CEST 2019

> The patch I propose does not take that into account and is indeed
> almost entirely source compatible.

Scratch the "not".

> And while I'd encourage someone to try it out, I'm of the firm opinion
> that Qt should try to get over its NIH attitude. One of the issues
> with Qt in the real world is that it's just that tiny bit differently
> than what non Qt C++ users are familiar with for. Sometimes that's for
> a good reason. but there's a cost there that is imho unappreciated
> inside the Qt bubble.

That sounds a bit harsher than intended and I should expand a bit on the
costs:

* Non Qt C++ developers can be expected to be familiar with how
unique_ptr works. Today that might not be a entirely true, but we aren't
deciding the api for today. We are deciding on the api for the next years.

* Static analyzers understand standard c++ but are unlikely to
understand the Qt dialect. [1]

* Using standard c++ means, that any evolution in c++ benefits Qt
automatically.

daniel

[1] For another example, clang-tidy knows about standard smart pointers
for its use after move check:
https://clang.llvm.org/extra/clang-tidy/checks/bugprone-use-after-move.html