[Development] Views

Philippe philwave at gmail.com
Fri May 17 08:12:01 CEST 2019

> No-one uses C++ unless they need the extra performance.

This is mostly right, though wide portability can be another reason.

This being said, that does not mean that every line of a C++ application
needs to be optimized with CPU cycles in mind.
In my experience, only restricted portions need to be optimized (desktop
application developer here).

This is why I use Qt containers when I need convenience, and specialized
containers when I need speed. And in that last case, that depend on the
context (eg. there are a variery of map implementations, each one with some
advantages).

If we had a magic stick to switch all Qt containers to the STL library
containers, that would not prevent the need to use dedicated
containers when speed really matters. Hence, I am fine with today Qt
containers.

And today, I can quote an example of an important container that Qt
provides but that C++20 does not (correct me if I am wrong):
QVarLengthArray (even if, here again, they are faster implementations
when one (rarely) need move semantics support).

Philippe