[Development] Views

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri May 17 19:36:44 CEST 2019

On Friday, 17 May 2019 09:38:05 PDT Marco Bubke wrote:
> Thiago, you partially implying that BC is still needed but with technologies
> like flatpak or snappy this will maybe not common use case anymore. They
> provide even behaviour compatibility if you stay with the same runtime.
> Something which is not provided by binary compability. I personally think
> if the behaviour is changed it should not even compile anymore so you can
> fix it easily.

Some level of compatibility is of course required, unless you're proposing we
provide a certain level of bugfixing for ALL releases for a number of years.
That is, if 6.2 isn't source-compatible with 6.1, then 6.1 needs to be
supported for 3+ years with bugfixes for code that was ported to 6.1 but
hasn't been ported further to 6.2.

If we're still keeping source compatibility but not binary, the problem is not
as big as above. But it still exists if you're not in a position to recompile
all modules (think third party's component).