[Development] Qt XML and Qt Xml Patterns

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue May 21 02:43:20 CEST 2019

On Monday, 20 May 2019 15:41:16 PDT Bernhard Lindner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is it correct that the Qt XML and Qt Xml Patterns components are both
> deprecated?

Yes, they are.

> If yes, are there any details known like:
> - How long or up to which Qt version will these components be part of Qt?
> - Will replacment components be available?

The replacement for QtXml are the streaming classes in QtCore. They've been
available for 10 years.

There is no replacement for the XMLPatterns module.

> - Are security fixes still be implemented?

Yes, definitely, for as long as we ship them plus 5 years.

> - Are the deprecations irrevocable?

No. Deprecations are only irrevocable when we want to get rid of code that is
in the way of making progress, such as the QList discussion. Those two modules
are not in the way of anything else, so the decision can change.

All it takes is someone stepping up to maintain either or both of them.