[Development] CSS styling, XML, HTML etc. (was Re: Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support)

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Tue May 21 20:15:07 CEST 2019

21.05.2019, 19:03, "Bastiaan Veelo" <bastiaan at veelo.net>:
> [skipping many interesting points, sorry]
>
> On 21/05/2019 16:06, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
>>  Anyway I think Assistant is one of those cases where I would prefer to
>>  keep using QTextBrowser and fix it up a bit more to suit, rather than
>>  switching to a real browser engine. Light weight is a real advantage.
>>  Creator already takes up enough memory as it is, with its code model
>>  especially. And documentation doesn’t need most of the fancy HTML
>>  features either.
>
> A better QTextBrowser would be very much welcomed, but there may still
> be cases where Assistant needs more features.
>
> The question of what HTML features are necessary depends on the
> application. In user applications, Assistant is not used to display code
> documentation (which is quite simple) but help files, which may require
> a much greater feature set. If it were possible, it could even be
> desirable to include small video clips as instructions for performing
> certain tasks. So there may still be applications where a full browser
> stack would be desirable. One could argue that one should spawn a real
> browser instead, but the index and search facilities in Assistant are
> invaluable.

FWIW, size-optimized build of QtWebKit with minimal feature set resulted in ~20M
binary here, though I've disabled video. While it can be seen aas bloated when
compared to QTextBrowser, it includes much more advanced HTML/CSS renderer,
supports JavaScript, and includes full-fledged SVG renderer.

--
Regards,
Konstantin