[Development] Qt XML and Qt Xml Patterns

Richard Weickelt richard at weickelt.de
Wed May 22 21:24:06 CEST 2019

> This was a case where I thought it is obvious already. The definition of
> "Done" (given by Thiago earlier in this thread) has not applied for a
> long time anymore. There hasn't been maintainer for a long time. I
> understand this leave use cases in the dust but this can only by averted
> if somebody steps up to actively main this module. There is no point
> claiming support otherwise.

> Nothing has been decided at this stage but unless a new maintainer can be
> found, it might even slip into Removed state in Qt 6.

> Please consider this mail as an official announcement of Qt Xml Patterns
> deprecation.
It's good that Bernhard has received an official statement.

In general, I think the Qt Company could make a little more effort to
communicate such decisions, educate its user community, and attract new
potential maintainers. Actually, communication should start before a problem
results in a decision. Isn't that an important aspect of community building?