[Development] QList for Qt 6

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Mon May 27 10:10:05 CEST 2019

> On 25 May 2019, at 00:37, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development <development at qt-project.org> wrote:
>
> Il 24/05/19 18:16, Uwe Rathmann ha scritto:
>>> We're talking about code that users should_stop_  using anyhow,
>>> and port away from it, right?
>> Please also consider the situation of 3rd party libraries ( like Qwt ),
>> that have to support Qt5/Qt6 from the same code base - probably for many
>> years after Qt6 has been released.
>> Currently Qwt supports all Qt version >= Qt 4.4. Qwt 5.x did even
>> support Qt3/Qt4 from the same code base, what was a nightmare as you can
>> imagine.
>> In my daily work project we also have a set of core libraries, that run
>> on old hardware with Qt4/QWS and on more recent projects with Qt5.
>
> This is yet another argument in favour of "don't touch QList": codebases that need compatibility.

Having QList an alias to QVector would solve almost all of those problems (except for the fear that now unstable references might break some code).

I’d say we now check on some larger code bases (Qt, Creator and maybe some parts of KDE), how replacing QList with QVector works out in practice. And do a decision after that.

Lars