[Development] RFC: Defaulting to or enforcing UTF-8 locales on Unix systems

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Fri Nov 1 10:21:48 CET 2019

Hi Thiago,

Thanks for the comprehensive mail.

> On 31 Oct 2019, at 22:11, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Re: https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/275152 (WIP: Move
> QTextCodec support out of QtCore)
> See also: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0538/
> 	https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0540/

> of forcing the locale encoding on Unix to be only UTF-8. This RFC (to be
> recorded as a QUIP) is meant to discuss how we'll deal with locales on Unix
> systems on Qt 6. This does not apply to Windows because on Windows we cannot
> reasonably be expected to use UTF-8 for the 8-bit encoding.

I do not think we have to worry about the local 8 bit encoding on Windows anymore these days. All our interaction with the OS goes through the 16 bit APIs (ie. uses UTF-16). I don’t think file content is a huge issue neither anymore as Windows 10 seems to have added UTF-8 support to most of it’s tools.

Afaik, we can also use a Unicode API for console  and debug output, so the only piece that’s left might be our users interacting with legacy ANSI APIs. That should be a rare case and it should be straightforward to port that over to use the Unicode API instead.

> There are three questions to be decided:
> a) What should Qt 6 assume the locale to be, if no locale is set?
> b) In case a non-UTF-8 locale is set, what should we do?
> c) Should we propagate our decision to child processes?
>
> My personal preference is:
> a) C.UTF-8
> b) override it to force UTF-8 on the same locale
> c) yes

I agree with all three choices. For your bonus (d) below, I’d say we should print a warning if we encounter a non UTF-8 locale other than C.

Cheers,
Lars