[Development] RFC: Defaulting to or enforcing UTF-8 locales on Unix systems

Mathias Hasselmann mathias at taschenorakel.de
Thu Nov 14 12:10:24 CET 2019

Am 03.11.2019 um 06:35 schrieb André Pönitz:
> On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 06:16:36PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> A true runtime option actually belongs in an environment variable, not in a
>> method that has to be called by the compiled code. (In fact, that's what I
>> would have expected your proposed QT_NO_OVERRIDE_LC_CTYPE to be, but
>> apparently you were thinking of a preprocessor define.)
>>
>> Whether to propagate the locale to child processes is really a decision that
>> can and should be left to the user at runtime rather than compiling it
>> either into the application (as in André's proposal) or even into Qt itself
>> (as in your proposal).
> I am all for not propagating Qt's UTF-8 choice to child processes at all.

"Write once, compile/run everywhere" mandates Qt enforcing a maximum
level of homogenity within our Qt applications. That extends to the
input and output streams of the child processes our applications deal
with. Not propagating Qt's UTF-8 choices seeems like a violation of that
principle of maximum homogenity. Hiding the complexity of obscure locale
settings truely belongs to the hearth of Qt's obligations in my opinion.

Ciao
Mathias