[Development] RFC: Defaulting to or enforcing UTF-8 locales on Unix systems

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Nov 16 02:21:14 CET 2019

On Friday, 15 November 2019 00:52:55 PST Eike Ziller wrote:
> - You state that as if that were a fact imposed on us from some external
> entity, and as if that patch were already in.

No, but that's the direction that started this conversation. If we're not
going to do that, then the entire discussion is moot.

> - I thought QTextCodec will
> still be available, even if from a separate module. If that plan has
> changed, provide a patch for Qt Creator as well.

it will, but we'll probably need a session next week to discuss in what form.
If wew remove the codecs we kept and only use ICU, then QTextCodec will have
negligible cost and could stay in QtCore.

If it stays in QtCore, we still have a question whether QString::fromLocal8Bit
shall assume it's UTF-8 on Unix systems.