[Development] Session notes for "Code Review: Sharing the load" and follow-up session
nils.jeisecke at saltation.com
Wed Nov 20 13:00:38 CET 2019
these are my notes for "Code Review: Sharing the load" session, extended
by "Improve the contributor experience of the Qt project"
* Situation: Many reviews in queue for long time (forever?)
* Android: They have a button: Find "Maintainers" (Plugin for Gerrit)
* Thiago: Would solve the first 15 Minutes for Contributors, not enough
* Improve the culture, appreciate the effort ("Thank you!")
* Get more people on-board as reviewers (not as approvers yet)
* Idea: Should not be +1 and +1, should be "Thumbs up" and "Tick!"
* Some reviewers don't understand the implication of "+1" (two "+1" != "+2")
* What does a good patch looks like?
* breaking patch up into multiple patches
* Is the documentation really good enough (opinions vary)
* Ask contributors whose changes have just been review to review others (sometimes happens)
* Sanity bot is good
* Revive early warning bot!
* Should changes only be approved after tests has run on CI?
* Can we get a "small CI" run (just Linux, "does it build?")
* Should the bot automatically run tests if tests have been changed?
* Should the bot automatically give a warning if tests have not been added (excluding doc only changes)?
* "Auto defer" bot is currently not active, would be useful to automatically
defer patches where contributor did not response to requests.
* Automatically stage when change is approved? Faster turnaround time.
* Mail (monthly?) reports to maintainers (or others?) (based on gerrit dashboard config?): "N Changes approved, but not staged? Link to staging page", List per module?
* Let's try it and see how it works out
* Gerrit Features unused right now
* Attach labels
* Bot could apply hashtags ("wants adoption", "stage-me")
* Has a feature to make clazy automatically appply improvements to the change ("contributor has to click a button")
* Public Community Feedback does not exist
* Alex: Use Thiago's script to highlight new contributions (Grafana?)? "Welcome new contributor!" for blog post (Like KDE does)?
Follow-up session extensions (lots of overlapping topics)
* Give contributor feedback
* Bot should say: "Welcome, Thanks for your first contribution"
* Monthly blog post advertising external contributors?
* Send out physical awards? T-Shirts, "Thank you" letter, ...?
* Make contributing easier
* Put contributor documentation into Qt's documentation ("Gettings started")?
* Link freenode IRC Web-Backend to simplify access to IRC for new contributors
* Use Qt account profile to setup everything needed for contributing (ssh keys, CLA check, ...)
* Adapt github workflow (Checklist "Auto test done", "Documentation done", ...)
* Triage bugs
* Add Jira label ("for juniors")?
* Missing Community manager (Consent: Yes, it's needed)
* Missing "qt-project" entity, kind of a foundation? Funding?
* Redefine: What is the qt-project?
* Activating new contributors
* Communication of Qt (company) targets companies, not community (qt.org => qt.io => sales)
* Microsoft pushes its stuff to universities, why not Qt (or qt-project?)
* Qt project needs a proper homepage. With nice, contemporary Howtos, ...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Development