[Development] RFC: QVariant changes in Qt6

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Fri Nov 22 14:32:17 CET 2019

Hi,

This is a follow-up on what was discussed in the (second part of the) QtCore
session in the QtCS.
Lars and others have been mentioning that they dislike implicit conversions
within QVariant. Creating a new class (QAny) has been suggested, that would be
like QVariant but without the conversions.
I am personally not in favor of this change because we are using QVariant all
over the place in our API and so we cannot really deprecate QVariant. It will
cause much confusion to user to have two similar classes. And the difference is
not big enough to force a new class.

So here is what I suggest we do in Qt6. None of this is implemented yet, it is
only proposed on this list for feedback.

1. operator==

In Qt6, QVariant::operator==() will no longer do any conversions.
If two QVariant does not have exactly the same, they will no longer be
considered equal.
Also, in Qt6, QMetatype will gain ability to register the operator==, and
therefore it will work for any type (and not only for builtin type as currently).

So right now,
    QVariant(QByteArray("Hello")) == QVariant(QString("Hello"))
is true, but in Qt6 it will be false.

This is a behavior change, but I believe this is something we can afford to do.
I do not have data on how much code will break with this change, but i feel
most use of operator== are there for optimisations: i.e:   setFoo(const
QVariant &foo) { if (m_foo == foo) return; ... }
Maybe we'll have more data once we actually implement the change and see if too
many things breaks.

2. operator< and other comparison operator

Deprecate in Qt 5.15, remove in Qt 6

It is not possible to implement it correctly with a total order.

I could not find direct use of the operator in the code indexed on
https://code.woboq.org/qt5 (only in QmlDesigner::operator< which is itself not
used)
Sorting on variant does not really make sense. Even code that does, like
QAbstractItemModelPrivate::isVariantLessThan does not use operator<.

Where this is used may be the use of QVariant as a key in a QMap. This is
problematic because the operator< does not implement a total order, so you can
have funny results.
I could not find instances of that in Qt or QtCreator, but Github search for
"QMap<QVariant," shows many result :-(
I'd still want to deprecate it. User could wrap QVariant in their own
MySortedVariant with their own operators that does what they need for their use
case.

3. conversions in QVariant::value

We would like to avoid having automatic conversion in QVariant::value.
So Qt6 would be
    std::optional<T> QVariant::value() const;
And we could deprecate the current one in Qt5.15 in favor of qvariant_cast
which is explicit.

This one is a bit more controversial maybe. Because there are thousands of call
to QVariant::value all over the place. But "value()" is the ideal name for the
non-converting variant.
A clazy script to replace QVariant::value with qvariant_cast will be in order.

4. All the implicit constructors for builtin types.

QVariant has many implicit constructors for all the builtin types.
I suggest to replace them all with a template<typename T> QVariant(T&&)
constructor. (same as std::any.) So builtin types are no longer special.

5. All the method toXxx (where Xxx is a builtin type)

Leave them as-is?
However some of them are for types that may go outside of QtCore, these should
be deprecated in Qt 5.15 and removed in Qt6

6. QVariant::Type and QMetaType::Type enums

QVariant::Type is already marked as obsolete in the documentation, but not yet
marked as deprecated.
So we can remove it in Qt6, and we should try to mark it as deprecated in Qt
5.15. But that's hard because it is used all over the place.

QMetaType::Type will be marked as deprecated in Qt6, but i'm afraid we cannot
simply remove it.
In  general, all the integer id API for QMetaType will be deprecated in Qt6,
one should use QMetaType by value. The integer id will stay in Qt6. This means
that there will still be a central registry of types but it would only be there
for the types for which we ask the id (and for the builtin types)

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - https://woboq.com - https://code.woboq.org