[Development] QtCS19 Serialization session

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Nov 25 06:54:33 CET 2019

On Sunday, 24 November 2019 12:18:07 PST Arnaud Clère wrote:
> - Thiago recognized that this kind of API would be valuable to Qt users but
> at least the naming is problematic, so he should provide feedback before it
> can be pushed to and reviewed on gerrit

My point is that I can see the value in providing a single method whereby our
and users' types can provide a descriptive format for their serialisation,
regardless what the serialisation backend is. That way, a single method could
be used for XML, JSON, CBOR, DataStream, Future Whatchanameit.

However, the API is very un-Qtish. I don't like reading a method and not
knowing what it does. You can only know what the zap() methods do in context
of the parameter passed.

One more thing: how often do the same types need serialisation to multiple
formats in a way that can be done generically?