[Development] QTCS2019 Notes from QtQml session

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Mon Nov 25 16:36:32 CET 2019

On 25-11-19 15:53, Ulf Hermann wrote:
>> Yeah, that's going to make using QML in actual applications a whole lot
>> harder. For instance, sometimes access to some root node is needed even
>> from deep leaf files. Removing that capability is quite a drastic measure.
> Yes, but the problems with this construct are the same as with generic
> context properties: Your QML component requires some context that it
> doesn't declare. Therefore your code is not reusable and brittle wrt
> addition of properties in other places.
>
> Mind that all those dynamic lookups will still live on in QML 2, and we
> will maintain QML 2 throughout Qt6. They just won't be valid in QML 3.

"It will still work in QML 2" is not a great one if you want people to
port over to QML 3. And you will need to support something like this
anyway.

So far, the feeling I'm getting is that you're quite rigorously axing
things from QML 2 in QML 3 in order to clean up because it is "broken"
in QML 2. But without careful consideration what should replace it, that
will just lead to the same issues again or a less usable QML for real
world applications.

I'm a bit concerned.

André