[Development] QTCS2019 Notes from QtQml session

Robin Burchell robin.burchell at crimson.no
Mon Nov 25 17:22:36 CET 2019

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019, at 4:55 PM, Robin Burchell wrote:
> The situation for QML3 seems to be much less clear cut

(This got sent a bit too early (hotkey mixup). Pretend this was at the bottom of my last mail.)

I can't really comment on all of this stuff individually, because I'd be writing an encyclopedia and I've already written a lot (and I've been trying to stay away from Qt for a while because I've been too busy and burned out to have the time or the patience to do anything here anyway), but this is important enough that I thought I'd at least try.

I guess my thinking in general is: New things are good. Change is good. But both of these are only actually good if they are genuinely worth the pain that the transitioning involves.

Change that involves touching every file (version numbers, removing anchors.left/font.bold), or rewriting code in one way to another (context properties to singletons) seems like something that is honestly not worth fixing unless there is a very clear gain that I'm unable to discern from it because it pointlessly adds pain onto your users, who in turn will add pain onto you by not performing a quick transition and forcing you to support the old stuff far longer than you'd reasonably want to.

I think it would be much better to see more effort put into smoothing the transition - whether that's through automation/tooling, or a relaxed approach to deprecating these features - or something, at least for some amount of time, rather than just saying "tough luck, go run an obsolete version of QML".

--
  Robin Burchell
  robin at crimson.no