[Development] RFC: QVariant changes in Qt6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Nov 25 22:17:57 CET 2019

On Sunday, 24 November 2019 13:02:32 PST Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > OMG, are you really sure about these massive changes?
>
> Not 100% sure, no.
> What specific changes are you worried about?
> In this case, I believe the changes should lead to only small behavior
> changes which are in fact fixes.
> But this is of course up to discussion.
> As always, it is a trade-of between stability but stagnation, or evolution.

Indeed, one of the things we discussed was to freeze QVariant as an API, with
its defects as they are, and introduce a new QAny class to have the behaviour
we do want in the future. But we felt this would cause more confusion.

It's difficult to make a decision without hard data. I think we need to
attempt and try to run some representative sample of Qt-based code, to see
what breaks. If too much does, we may need to back out and try the alternative
(where "too much" will also need to be decided).