[Development] QTCS2019 Notes from QtQml session

Simon Hausmann Simon.Hausmann at qt.io
Tue Nov 26 11:39:54 CET 2019

On 25.11.19 12:15, Robin Burchell wrote:
>> We could detect this in qmllint by just continuing the search for IDs
>> even if we've found a property.
> We could, but if I may gently suggest, I think I can count most of the people who use qmllint on a regular, useful basis on one hand ;-).

You're soon going to run out of fingers ;-)

> (One possible improvement to this could be to not _just_ have it as a separate tool: maybe debug builds should _also_ run qmllint - or at least a subset of its checks - on the code that the engine is loading? Alternatively, perhaps as an engine flag to at least allow it to be turned on once, and happen for everyone on a team in a unified zero-effort way)

Yes, we're working on integrating the application of the linter into the
build system, so that it is always run. The objective is to look at the
qml code as early as possible in the development cycle. Right now it's a
run-time, maaybe a little at compile time with CONFIG +=
qtquickcompiler. The linter is taking a much closer look at the qml file
(beyond the code in binding expressions) and that's feedback to be given
after pressing the shortcut for "Build". We'd like to take the same code
and place it into a language server, so that the feedback can be given
right after typing - before choosing the apply the build step.

>> Mind that adding a method to a base class in C++ will shadow unrelated
>> other classes and functions even if it's not virtual or overridden. Why
>> did we actually decide that we can live with this effect in C++ but not
>> in QML? - Maybe because in C++ it's more likely to result in a compile
>> error due to mismatched signatures?
> I think one of the biggest problems is that ID resolution crosses file boundaries. This essentially means that the ids chosen can very easily become part of the "API" of a component unless you are very vigilant to not allow that to happen.

Yes, implicit ID resolution across file boundaries is something that
needs replacing with an explicit _interface_ declaration. I think that
we may agree on that goal?

> [...]
>
> This is a contrived example, but I have seen similar things to this cause bugs in production.
>
> Picture a SettingsButton.qml with this sort of contents:
>      Button { MouseArea { onClicked: console.log("clicked"); } }
>
> Looks nice and innocent, right? But I notice that the MouseArea doesn't work because it has no geometry. I want to refer to it elsewhere in this component, too, so let's give it a name.
>
>      Button { MouseArea { id: someFoo; width: parent.width; onClicked: console.log("clicked"); } }
>
> In sensible code, this would work just fine, and have no complications.
> Unfortunately, what you didn't know was that Button.qml is:
>
>      Rectangle {
>          width: someFoo.width
>          height: 10
>      }
>
> The use of someFoo here was previously referring to a parent id. Now, it finds that id in the child instead, with a very different geometry to what was expected - just the same as if this was a property on the root item.
>
> This is not an easy problem I think. For sure, you can't just take the "easy way" out and warn about duplicate ids during lookup, because while _sometimes_ this inheritance is decidedly wrong and not what you want, a lot of the time, id scoping is "private" and just fundamentally how code is written. In the C++ world, this would seem pretty silly:
>
>      class Base { private: int m_myImplementationDetail; }
>      class Base : Derived { private: int m_myImplementationDetail; } // warning: duplicate variable "m_myImplementationDetail" found in class Base
>
> Yes, they do indeed have the same name, but that's also unambiguous and fine.
>
> If we do consider them to be part of the API *sometimes* though, perhaps the right thing to do is to allow that to happen explicitly: specify what ids can be "exported/imported" and issue a compile error if those expectations are not met.
>
> One problem though is that this import/export boundary should be checked at the file boundary, _not_ the component boundary, otherwise using things like Loader become a lot more annoying.
>
> So perhaps it could look something like this:
>
> import MyModule ...
> expects Item myFoo; // we want something of type Item, identified as myFoo to be passed in from a containing file somewhere
> provides MouseArea bar; // we provide this ID for children to find
>
> Item {
>      width: myFoo.width
>
>      MouseArea {
>          id: bar // is visible in scoped lookup (via 'provides' at the top)
>      }
> }
>
> I guess you might also be able to use this for context properties - which suffer from many of the same unclear scoping issues rather than just outright removing them, but that might require some additional considerations that I'm not sure of right now.

We discussed a similar approach as well, but right now we've implemented
this exact idea on a per-property level (required properties). That
gives the same functionality but it integrates well into the existing
component creation API and it applies very well to inline components
such as delegates. It is very easy to transition to it.

Simon