[Development] Qt 5.15 schedule proposal

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Wed Nov 27 20:59:55 CET 2019

On 27-11-19 07:03, Jani Heikkinen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Qt 5.14.0 is in its final steps and it is time to start thinking Qt 5.15 release schedule.  I don't see any reason/evidence how we could cut the time so my proposal is based on previous releases:
>

> Qt 5.15 initial schedule proposal:
> - All new modules must be in qt5 latest a week before FF. That way we in the release team should have enough time to adjust packaging etc for new modules before alpha release (== Soft FF đŸ˜ƒ )
> - Qt 5.15 Feature Freeze 31st January 2020
> - Qt 5.15 Alpha release immediately after FF.
> - Qt 5.15 Beta1 release 25th February
> - Qt 5.15.0 RC 30th April 2020
> - Qt 5.15.0 release 15th May 2020
>
> Any comments or objections?

I wonder if this schedule leaves enough time. With the holidays
approaching, there isn't all that much time left before 5.15 (Soft) FF.
However, I also heard quite some items where in order to facilitate a
smooth transition to Qt6 features in 5.15 need to be added. I'm worried
such features could not be done in time or end up being rushed, leading
to either problems being carried over to Qt6 or breaking changes anyway.

Cheers,

André